Thursday, November 13, 2008

Favorite Election Moments -- McCain

I think my favorite election moment was when McCain "suspended" his campaign in an obvious political stunt (and it got even worse when he got to Washington and said and did nothing! Boy, did he look like an asshole). I think I knew at that point that his campaign was a mess and that he was going to lose badly.

I also loved the "we are all Georgians" statement that was completely absurd and again, indicated that he had no idea what he was doing.

In fact, I never understood why McCain was running for president, other than that it was his turn (in his mind). This was the same reason Bob Dole ran for president and we all know how that turned out.

Other great moments in the election, McCain version:
• "My fellow prisoners"
• "I couldn't agree with them more. I couldn't disagree with you more."
• the tarmac meeting with Palin's family, including the white trash Levi (wonder how that whole marriage thing is working out)
• the failure to make eye contact with Obama at the first debate
• the "that one" comment at whichever debate it was
• the response to the Crazy McCain Lady© that Obama was not an Arab, but a decent family man
• Obama breaking into a huge smile at some idiocy McCain was spewing at one of the debates -- made McCain look like the doddering old man he was

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now.

I had originally thought McCain would pull about 37% of the popular vote. I still think that was about right. What changed was the incredibly negative and vicious campaign they ran to appeal to angry, working class white men (and a few women) gave them the other 7% to bring it to 44%.

McCain should be ashamed -- he ran one of the worst campaigns in history, not just because it didn't work, but because it was based not on ideas but on ignorance and hatred.

He could redeem himself by using his time in the Senate to do something the country really needs (how about getting rid of the Electoral College?). But I doubt he's smart enough or cares enough to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home