Saturday, February 11, 2006

Olympics

OK, I admit I'm a sucker for this "We Are the World" stuff. Maybe its because I was a little kid in the early '60s and bought into the "we are all one" vision of things like the Peace Corps and the Beatles. Anyway, I always watch the Olympics opening ceremonies and last night was no exception.

It was all a little too Europop for me and typically weird. But I did enjoy seeing and hearing Pavarotti singing the great "Nessun Dorma," and even if his voice isn't so great anymore (hey, he's 70 years old!) it was still wonderful. And no Bjork, which is a blessing in itself. I also liked seeing the women carrying in the Olympic flag (including Sophia Loren -- 71 and still looks fantastic! -- Isabel Allende and Nobel prize winner Wangari Maathai Kenya). Good to see Yoko, too, and to hear "Imagine" even if Peter Gabriel's interpretation was a little strange.

NBC, however, sucks and I am not looking forward to two weeks of their crappy coverage. Makes me yearn for the days when I lived in northern US border cities and could watch Olympics coverage on the CBC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home