Sunday, January 01, 2006

Narnia

I went to see Chronicles of Narnia yesterday. It was either that or The Ringer (the Johnny Knoxville movie which I may still go see). It is definitely a children's movie, unlike Lord of the Rings. It is simplistic and heavy handed in its Christian allegory. I have never read the books and I am not a fantasy fan, so I wasn't expecting much. Given all that, its not too bad.

Tilda Swinton is very good as is James McAvoy who plays Mr Tumnus. The special effects are OK -- a definite step down from LOTR or Kong. And there were moments when I almost laughed out loud at the heavy handedness of the Chrisitan allegory.

My daughter, who has read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (the book in the series on which this movie is based) was sorely disappointed. She did not like the movie much at all (but then I think she also would've preferred seeing The Ringer).

And speaking of Narnia, you really need to watch this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home