Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Sumo Las Vegas

Just back from Las Vegas where I attended the Grand Sumo exhibition -- the first time since 1985 that the top rikishi came to America. It was fantastic -- terrific event. Sumo is a great, great sport -- if more Americans saw it in person, it would be huge here. What a thrill to see in person the rikishi that I read about on the Japan Times English language sumo coverage. I didn't see any wrestlers outside the ring, but there were many sightings reported in the news coverage. I took my daughter, who figured she would be bored to tears, but has now become a huge sumo fan. We had a great time.

Vegas, on the other hand, is a pretty awful place. The smoke alone is disgusting, not to mention the general sleeze. But we had a good time anyway. My daughter loved the Hard Rock Cafe and the shopping -- oh, and M&M World, where we got some cute T-shirts from the M&M/Star Wars promotion (mine has storm troopers saying to an M&M character dressed as a storm trooper "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?"). It was packed in Vegas, since it was a holiday weekend, and celebrity sightings (Paris, Paris, Paris) abounded, at least according to the local newspaper gossip column.

Anyway, well worth it. Now back to the grind.

1 Comments:

At 3:43 AM, Blogger taddia said...

I attended the first day of the Fall Tournament in Fukouka, Japan on Nov. 13th, 2005. I was lucky enough to also previously attend a Spring Tour in Ise, Japan April 2001 and the Fall Tour in Shunan City, Japan Oct. 27th, 2005. I can't get enough. It is so GREAT! My two "first timer" companions were also impressed, although one admitted prior to the tournament that he thought he thought he might be bored after a whole day of Sumo. Such was not the case, as at 5:30 p.m. when the day's activities came to an end, we all would have gladly continued to watch matches. I know there has been a previous tour or Tournament in Las Vegas and am wondering if there will be another. Does anyone know????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home