Thursday, August 12, 2004

Dumbest Democrat in Louisiana

That;s what Carville called that dope in Louisiana -- Congresssman Rodney Alexander -- who changed his party affiliation from Democrat to Republican 30 minutes before the filing deadline. Well, he may be screwed because he had already filed as a Dem and by state law could not file again for the same office. His entire staff and consultants quit and the party is demanding its money back. Plus the Republican already in the race is pissed that he is being pressured to drop out in favor of Alexander.

Anyway, Alexander held a press conference and its quite interesting to hear what he had to say, or rather what he's implying in what he said:

In his first full-length press conference since his switch, Alexander explained he was motivated in part by his belief that the candidacy filing by a fellow Democrat, African-American homemaker Zelma "Tisa" Blakes, threatened his chances of winning re-election if he stuck with that party’s line.

One of the most conservative House Democrats during his brief tenure, Alexander implied that the politically unknown Blakes may have been able to attract support among black activists who resented his decision not to endorse the Democratic presidential nominee, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry.

"I knew that there were several, among African-American leaders, who had been put out by me because of my failure or reluctance to endorse Sen. Kerry. And I had voted with [President Bush] on some of the issues that he and I agreed on," Alexander said. He added that he picked up "some strong vibrations" that he was losing support among liberals in the 5th District’s Democratic base. "I didn’t want to engage in a campaign where I was defending myself on those issues at every turn," he said. "So I just decided that I’d switch and run as a Republican."

More here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home