Tuesday, January 18, 2005

More Scary Stuff

David Neiwart on how the fundamentalists have become mainstream and how they are using freedom of religion to attempt to change this country into a theocracy.

This generates from the news stories about the swearing-in of Alabama Supreme Court Justice Tom Parker last Thursday before U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas in Washington. New stories quoted Parker as saying "Thomas told him a judge should be evaluated by whether he faithfully upholds his oath to God, not to the people, to the state or to the Constitution."

I know some have discounted this remark, but I find it very frightening. But then I have the experience few in America have had of growing up non-Christian in an overwhelmingly Christian community (albeit more tolerant than I think lots of places are today). So I tend to be a bit paranoid about fundies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home