Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Why Live 8 Was/Is Important

My daughter and I watched most of Live 8 on Saturday. While the TV production was atrocious, some of the performances were great.

But the best thing is, Live 8 accomplished what it set out to -- it raised awareness, particularly among insular Americans, that there is a world out there that doesn't consist of malls and SUVs -- a world that is suffering as a result of our greed and consumption. I'm for anything that raises awareness of the global community. Most Americans know nothing about the G8, know nothing about other countries and feel no obligation to help the less fortunate (true at home, too). So if Live 8 helped make them aware of the horrid situation in Africa, terrific.

I'm also for anything that promotes liberal viewpoints. And for anything that might make someone believe more in the power of democracy.

Some have criticized Live 8 for not raising money. Bullshit. So they might've raised a few hundred million worldwide. The G8 leaders can take action that means BILLIONS of dollars. Pressure on them is a very good thing indeed.

"You may say I'm a dreamer. But, I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us. And the world will live as one."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home