Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Star Wars

Finally got to see it last night. First impression: good, not great. Best of the prequels. Maybe -- I haven't completely decided yet -- maybe better than Return of the Jedi.

I have to admit, I was bored for about the first 45 minutes to an hour. The big battle in the beginning -- eh. Even the General Grievous thing didn't do much for me. But about the point where Anakin started to turn -- around the opera scene -- I started to get interested. And from there on, it was a great ride.

Best moment was when Yoda blew aside the Imperial Guards. The fight between Obi Wan and Anakin was also great. Worst moment: Vader stepping off the table on which he was built and yelling Noooooooooooooooo! I read in some review that one would be tempted to yell "It's alive!" during that scene and I definitely was. My ever-perceptive daughter noted that George Lucas really knows how to blow what should've been a great moment.

Lots of great references to the original movies, especially toward the end which ties up some loose knots. But the still unanswered question for me is why does Obi Wan not recognize the droids in A New Hope? There are other, probably more important, plot holes that I can't think of right now, but that one has always bothered me and it is not answered.

Also, parts of it are pretty gruesome, especially what happens to Anakin in the fight with Obi Wan. I'm pretty sure that's why it got a PG13.

I'll probably go see it again but I was not overwhelmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home