Monday, January 10, 2005

And Now for Something Completely Different

To step aside from politics for a moment, I'm going to rant about Food Network.

I love this channel and have been a devoted watcher since the early days when most of the programs looked like public access. The shows got much better for awhile and top chefs started doing great work. But now, the network has degenerated and has become what I call "All Rachael Ray All the Time."

Now, Rachael has her schtick and more power to her. But she's not a chef. She did not go to culinary school. She has not run a restaurant. She worked at a gourmet market and was doing local TV bits when she was spotted by a Food TV exec on vacation.

In addition to her "30 Minute Meals" series which is tolerable but nothing more, Rachael has two absolutely awful shows "$40 a Day" and what's that other gawd-awful crap "Inside Dish" or something like that. Just awful. And she is on constantly -- you can't turn on Food TV without a Rachael Ray show coming on within an hour.

I really, really cringe when she shows up on shows with such accomplished chefs as Wolfgang Puck, Emeril Lagasse, Mario Batali, etc. Its just offensive. I mean, Wolfgang Puck is one of the top 5 cuisine innovators in America. Rachael Ray couldn't clean the floors in one of his restaurants.

And don't even get me started on Sandra Lee. Soup can cooking. Vile.

Please, Food Network, get rid of these pseudo-chefs (or at least limit their exposure) and schedule more shows from authoritative chefs who might actually have something to teach us.

Now, don't get me wrong -- I love some of the goofier Food TV shows like "Iron Chef" and "Unwrapped." My favorite is "Good Eats" and I like what I call the catering shows like Michael Chiarello and Ina Garten. But give us more "A Cook's Tour" and Jamie Oliver, etc.

And please make Al Roker go away. Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home